Elsinore Valley Municipal Water District (EVMWD) has a few tips for preparing your home for holiday meals and parties without running up your water bill. Even small changes can add up to big savings over the course of the holiday season.
- Consider thawing your turkey and other holiday dishes in the fridge, rather than under running water.
- The holidays are full of frequent parties and messes, but try to only wash and dry full loads of laundry.
- Expecting out of town guests? Install a low-flow shower head in your bathrooms before they arrive. Find free devices and rebates at www.evmwd.com/rebates.
- Cut back on the amount of glasses that will need to be washed at holiday meals. Designate one glass for each of your guests to use during the holiday celebration.
- Instead of sending pipe-clogging fats and grease down the drain, pour pan drippings into an empty jar or can. Allow the grease to cool and solidify and then throw the container in the trash.
- Set the holiday table with a pitcher of cold water instead of filling each glass. This way people take only when they need. Use any leftover water for your dog bowl or plants.
“The holidays are a great time to evaluate where you can save water,” says Matthew Conway, Water Efficiency/Educational Specialist at EVMWD. “Many of these small changes can also be used throughout the year as you continue conserving.”
For more simple tips to try throughout the year, as well as rebates, savings, and tools, visit www.evmwd.com/conservation.
EVMWD provides service to more than 144,000 water and wastewater customers in a 96-square-mile area in Western Riverside County. The District is a sub-agency of the Western Municipal Water District and a member agency of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California. Visit the EVMWD website at www.evmwd.com for additional information.